The History of the German Journal of Sports Medicine – Deutsche Zeitschrift für Sportmedizin
The Journal is directed to translational science and clinical practice of Sports Medicine and its adjacent fields, which investigate the influence of physical activity, exercise, training and sports, as well as a lack of exercise affecting healthy people and patients of all age-groups and addresses implications for prevention, diagnosis, therapy, rehabilitation and physical training.
History and Former Journals
In 1928 the German Physicians Society for the Promotion of Physical Exercises founded an official journal for sports medicine called “Der Sportarzt”. This era ended with the takeover of the National Socialists in the 1930s and the journal´s scientific sports medical-related content passed into the journal “Sport”.
After Ending of the National Socialists´ era all their sports medical-related contents in the journal ended and several regional sports medical journals have been published.
In the German Democratic Republic the monthly journal “Medizin und Sport” has been published as official organ of the German Association for Sports Medicine (DGSM).
In 1950 this journal has been founded as “Leibesübungen, Sportarzt, Erziehung”. Between 1953 to 1958 it was renamed into “Sportmedizin” and later in 1964 into “Sportarzt und Sportmedizin”. Since 1978, this journal is called “Deutsche Zeitschrift für Sportmedizin – German Journal of Sports Medicine”.
The German Journal of Sports Medicine
Today the journal is published by Dynamic Media Sales Verlag, Augsburg, Germany. Former publishers were Tries Verlag, Deutscher Ärzteverlag, WWF-Verlagsgesellschaft and Süddeutscher Verlag onpact.
Currently, the journal offers 11 issues per year with approx. 60 to 70 scientific articles as well as editorials and additional general information about medicine and sports.
The principles of the journal are in adherence with the statements of the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) and its standards: “Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals“ published and updated in 2015 (http://www.icmje.org/icmje-recommendations.pdf).
All manuscripts of the journal are reviewed according to these. This peer-review-process is subject to certain principles and rules.
The process serves to ensure the quality of the journal and verifies the relevance of articles, the scientific credibility and completeness, style and comprehensibility. In 2015, the journal counted 75 new submissions and realized 59 revisions out of 133 expert opinions. The rejection rate was 34.52%.
The journal is listed in the following important databases:
· Research Alert
· Focus On: Sports Science and Medicine
· SciVerse Scopus (Elsevier)
· EBSCO SPORTDiscus
Editors in Chief of the German Journal of Sports Medicine
1950 - 1959 Dr. Dr. med. Arthur Mallwitz
1959 - 1961 Dr. med. Josef Hammacher, Karlsruhe
1961 - 1998 Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. mult. Wildor Hollmann, Köln
Since 1999 Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Jürgen Steinacker, Ulm
Prof. em. Dr. med. Wilfried Kindermann, Medical Specialist for Internal Medicine, Cardiology and Sports Medicine, Institute for Sports and Preventive Medicine, University of Saarland
Prof. Dr. med. Holger Schmitt, Medical Specialist for Orthopedics and Trauma Surgery, Special Orthopedics Surgery, Rheumatology and Sports Medicine, ATOS Klinik Heidelberg
Prof. Dr. med. Andreas Nieß, Medical Specialist for Internal Medicine and Sports Medicine, Department of Sports Medicine, University Hospital Tübingen
Simone Dübel, B.A. is Managing Editor at University Hospital Ulm.
Dr. med. Willi Pfeifer, Kaiserslautern 1959 - 1999
Prof. Dr. med. Holger Mellerowicz, Berlin 1990 - 2004
Prof. Dr. med. Hans Rieckert, Kiel 1986 - 1999
Prof. Dr. med. Richard Rost, Köln 1977 - 1998
Prof. Dr. med. Dieter Kohn, Homburg 2004 - 2006
1. Arnold A: Bibliographie des gesamten seit 1911 erschienenen Schrifttums über Sportmedizin und deren Grenzgebiete, mit Berücksichtigung des ausländischen Schrifttums. Berlin, A. Reher 1927.
2. Arnold A: Bibliographie des 1927 erschienenen Schrifttums über Sportmedizin und deren Arnold A: Grenzgebiete, mit Berücksichtigung des ausländischen Schrifttums. Leipzig, G. Thieme 1929.
3. Arnold A: Bibliographie über Sportmedizin und Grenzgebiete 1928 - 1931. Leipzig, J.A. Barth 1934.
4. Arnold A: Bibliographie über Sportmedizin und Grenzgebiete 1932 - 1935. Leipzig, G. Thieme 1936.
5. Arnold A: Bibliographie der Sportmedizin und deren Grenzgebiete unter Berücksichtigung der ausländischen Literatur 1936 - 1953. Leipzig, J. A. Barth 1958.
6. Klaus EJ: Deutschsprachige Standardwerke und wichtige Beiträge der Sportmedizin und ihre Grenzgebiete in den Jahren 1900 - 1955. Freiburg/Br., R. Tries 1955.